Technical Product Manager
RapidSOS is hiring! Join a rapidly growing advanced emergency technology start-up in solving one of the greatest challenges of our generation:
- The Challenge: 911 was built 50 years ago for a landline system and has seen limited change since. The result is 250M 911 calls a year are managed with basically voice only. Watch John Oliver discuss the challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XlyB_QQYs
- RapidSOS Tech: Partnering with Internet of Things (IoT) companies and the public safety community, RapidSOS provides a rich data link to public safety sending lifesaving data to aid in emergency response
- Media/Awards: Won most major start-up awards (including Start-Up of the Year by CTA/CES & Top Innovation of 2015 by MIT) and featured across national media (WSJ,NYT, WIRED, TechCrunch, Newsweek, Time, Fortune, etc.)
- Team: MIT, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Google, Oracle, Microsoft, Argonne & Oak Ridge National Labs, Bell Labs, venture capital, over 40 tech start-ups
- Investors: $65M of capital raised from preeminent global investors including several top VCs, Microsoft, and former leadership of Apple, AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Lucent, Raytheon, and three former FCC Chairmen
As a Technical Product Manager, you will help build the RapidSOS platform that connects relevant IoT data from mobile devices, cars, homes, wearables, and other nodes directly to emergency response centers and first responders. By providing robust and rich data to 911 and emergency responders directly from mobile and connected devices, RapidSOS will enable a faster and more effective response that will protect communities and save lives.
You are passionate about building the software needed to connect device data into emergency response centers through the development of APIs, integration methods and standards, and OEM and vendor partnerships. You will follow trends and spot opportunities in markets including direct-to-responder applications and home and car security services. You are highly technical with some previous experience in software engineering, but you demonstrate a strong propensity to work across functions to deliver a life-saving product to public safety professionals.
First 30 days
- Assess the current state of products and how they are being delivered, operated, and maintained
- Start taking ownership of the agile development processes to ensure the right product is built and released in a timely manner
- Develop a deep understanding of potential emergency API products that connect device data to dispatchers and first responders, and learn the nuances of the industries in which our data providers operate (automotive manufacturing, healthcare, home security, etc.)
- Build a strong working relationship with cross-functional teams including product, engineering, marketing, business development, and legal and ensure the product team acts as a conduit of product and technical vision across all teams
60 Days and Beyond
- Contribute to building, maintaining, and communicating the product roadmap from the strategic product vision down to the specific technical requirements
- Identify customer and prospect challenges that represent significant market opportunities that can be addressed by RapidSOS
- Help to own and run customer demos alongside the VP of Product, other product managers, and our product design team by answering core technical questions
- Make recommendations to the CTO and VP of Engineering about key technical decisions that drive the overall company product roadmap
- Help the VP of Engineering measure, track, and maintain engineering team resources and development velocity to inform roadmap timelines and maintain the product development cadence and activities
- Strong technical background with hands on software development experience
- Technical product development or product management experience
- Knowledge of API and platform development
- Business-driven mindset with a passion for and deep understanding of technology – you are able to have high-level strategic discussions rooted in technical nuance and detail.
- Demonstrated curiosity, self-teaching, and the ability to dive in are required – we don’t expect you to know everything, but we do expect that you are willing and capable to learn.
- Mission-oriented and impact-driven mindset – we are building products that save lives and there is no room for error.
- 2+ years of software development experience
- IoT or connected device experience
- Public safety experience
What We Offer:
- The chance to work with a passionate team on solving one of the largest challenges globally
- Competitive salary and benefits and equity participation
- Dynamic, fun work environment with a highly talented team
- Flexible startup work environment and a fun atmosphere
- Rapid growth opportunities
If you’re curious to learn more about RapidSOS, you can check out our full press list!
RapidSOS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.